Head of Comms
HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS
The British Asian Trust is looking to recruit a dynamic Communications professional to further develop our communications and brand in our fast-moving and expanding organisation.
This is an incredibly exciting period as we exit a major Public Appeal that included a range of events and a significant foray into digital fundraising. Next year is our tenth anniversary and there are many new developments that you will be a central player in, working with a range of agencies to maximise the impact of our communications. Our celebrity Ambassadors are key to us spreading our messages and we expect you to further develop and manage our programme with them.
In addition, you will lead on developing a stronger overall communications strategy that engages our supporters and the wider South Asian diaspora. This will include further developing our website, a stronger social media presence as well as rolling out our evolving brand.
We are looking for someone who has strong all-round communications experience with excellent knowledge of South Asia, the issues it faces and the motivations and outlook of the South Asian diaspora. You will be strong digitally and be used to working in a small team with a range of agencies to deliver impactful communications.
If this is you and it sounds like a great opportunity, then we look forward to hearing from you by 5pm on the 9th February 2017 please.
This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and experienced individual to join the British Asian Trust team during this exciting stage in its development. Reporting to the Chief Executive, the post-holder will:
- Develop and implement an effective Communications strategy including an ever-impactful digital & social media element
- Develop our website and materials to engage supporters, potential supporters and the wider diaspora population, and that support our fundraising via Appeals, funds and events
- Develop and manage BAT’s brand and internal communications
- Increase BAT’s profile in the media, with influencers and other organisations
- Develop and strengthen our relationship with Ambassadors (BAT celebrities) and other celebrities
Job Title: Head Of Communications
Reporting to: Director of Fundraising & Communications
Salary: c. £50,000 per annum
One staff member – the Communications Officer
Location: The British Asian Trust Offices, St James’s Palace
- Develop and implement an effective Communications strategy across the spectrum of communications disciplines including media and PR, celebrity management, brand marketing, digital and social media, production of materials and internal communications
- Develop a clear strategy on key audiences and how to communicate with them
- Report on and analyse all aspects of communications
- Develop key messages, leading on creating and maintaining appropriate and consistent language and terminology across all media
- Act as a ‘brand guardian’ ensuring consistency across communications
- Identify issues that could potentially damage the organisation’s reputation and recommend actions to mitigate this risk
- Keep up-to-date on best practice within the sector generally and particularly changes to communications innovations, legislation and codes of practice
Digital / social media / materials
- Develop an engaging, evolving mobile-responsive website that engages visitors and encourages them to support The Trust. This includes generating content, making improvements to functionality, maximising potential and monitoring performance.
- Manage and expand our social media presence, including the sourcing and sharing of newsworthy information, and the production of regular reports detailing social media activity
- Oversee the production of a range of engaging communications including reports, presentations, factsheets, newsletters and emails, ensuring that we have consistent and current information on everything that we do
Publicity and media
- Increase the organisation’s profile across the media and with influencers and key organisations
- Develop relationships / facilitate the development of relationships with target media representatives, publications and agencies as well as the Royal Household
- Write releases, articles and statements as necessary
- Respond to requests from the media for comments, views and supporting information and maximise opportunities for further engagement
Events support (with others)
- Production of event collateral, copy, design, proof reading and printing
- Production of event content slides, script, key messaging document, videos,
- Briefing ambassadors and staff for media interviews
- Liaising with Media agency to manage media and celebrities during events
- Manage social media during events
BAT’s Brand and Internal Communications
- Be the guardian of the brand and ensure that internal and external stakeholders use it appropriately
- Enhance communications with colleagues, improving people’s understanding of our work
- Analyse our communications on a quarterly basis and recommend improvements
- Develop and strengthen our relationship with Ambassadors (British Asian Trust celebrities) and other celebrities ensuring that they support the Trust in a range of ways
Staff and supplier management
- Manage the Communications Officer
- Manage external suppliers such as designers, media / PR agencies, production companies
- Prepare, monitor and report upon the annual Communications budget
- Coordinating and liaising with the Royal Household to maximise opportunities
- Attend networking and other events, being an advocate for the British Asian Trust
- Perform any other duties as required by the line manager and commensurate with the post
Job related knowledge, skills and experience
The role requires a motivated professional, able to work well independently and as part of a busy team and who:
- Is an all-round communications specialist including significant digital, PR and media experience, including South Asia / Diaspora media
- Has experience / knowledge of charity
- Has a track record of developing impactful communications strategies
- Is an excellent communicator, both written and verbal
- Has excellent relationship management skills and is able to relate to people from all backgrounds and sustain relationships
- Has experience of project planning and/or project co-ordination
- Is accurate and pays attention to detail
- Has experience and knowledge of South Asia, the issues it faces and the motivations and outlook of the South Asian diaspora
- Is able to undertake working at weekends and in the evenings to fit in with activities and events and/or the need to communicate then
- Is willing and able to travel within the UK and abroad
Personal Attributes / Qualities
- Ambitious, innovative and self-motivated
- Driven and dynamic
- Trustworthy, patient and flexible
- A great relationship builder
- Enjoys working as part of a small and busy team
- Open to new ways of working, learning new tasks and skills as required.
- Passionate about South Asia, overseas development and supporting people to transform their lives
Hours of work: 37.5hrs per week
Salary: c. £50,000 per annum
Annual leave: 25 days in addition to public holidays and any discretionary days as may be offered by the Trust to all staff.
Should you wish to apply for this role, please send your CV and a covering letter (no more than 2 A4 sides) clearly demonstrating how you meet the requirements of the role to email@example.com by 5pm on 9th February 2017
Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments due to any disability to assist you in completing your application and/or participating in a selection test or attending an interview in the event that you are short-listed.
Please note you must be able to prove your right to work in the United Kingdom should you be shortlisted for interview.